Ever since leaving the Gold Coast, my trip really just came alive. I enjoyed my time there, but I was ready to leave and see other things and meet other people. And that's exactly what we did.
Andree, Katelyn and myself left on a Friday morning, with every little thing I owned and headed up to Brisbane where we picked up the van for our road trip. The three of us couldn't be more excited about the trip. The girls were doing a 25 day trip up to Cairns and back, where they then would have to leave for home. I was only tagging along for about a week to travel up to Airlie Beach (where I planned on meeting up with Julia). When we got the van, I had already told the girls that I wanted to drive the whole way, I figured it would be a great drive scenery wise. Plus the van was a manual and we'd be driving on the left side of the road, I felt as if I was the best candidate for the job.
The vans name was "Yeah Right". No, we didn't name it ourselves. It was the name the van rental company gave it. 'Wicked' was the companies name, and it's vans were old mini van looking things that had been converted into a sleeping vessel. All Wicked vans came pre-graffitied with artwork, expressions, and crude humor. Ours didn't seem to have the coolest expressions, but who were we to complain.
We left Brisbane, sardined together in the front seat, windows down (because the A/C would over heat the engine), jamming out to shuffle on the ipod. I hadn't driven yet in Australia, and my first task as choffer was to simply pull out of the parking lot. Which you should note the cars are going in complete opposite directions as what I'm use to. So...I'm already nervous, and yet the Wicked workers are watching, Katelyn and Andree are staring at me, and I have to pull out of a blind drive way into coming traffic in a van that we put a $3000 deposit on. I hope I'm not the one to wreck this thing...
But I slowly got the hang out if. It was actually slightly easier to drive in traffic, because you don't have the opportunity to pull into the wrong lane, you just simply follow the cars in front of you. What's great too is we didn't bother getting a map for trip, we relied on fellow motorists at traffic lights to point us in the right direction. Our first stop 3 hours later: Noosa.
To be continuted...
No comments:
Post a Comment