Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Still working

A little update on my current affairs:

I believe the last thing yall heard is that I was on the island, working the bar. Well, I've been working the bar...and the cafe'...and marketing....and porter. In the past couple weeks we've lost around 5 more staff members and brought in 2. We're very short handed, which means Superman (me) has to fill in where others have left. Been putting in a lot of hours and saving heaps of money.
It's been a blast though. I absolutely love the bar, because usually its just me working, and to get a sip of alcohol on this island they have to come to me. I get to know all the guests as I attempt to show off with some bar flare. Guests average 2-3 nights here and about 50 people come and go every time. Being behind the bar is an instant conversation starter, usually consisting of me make fun of guys that order pina colodas, and filling jugs of beer with inches of head to rude customers. I've met so many interesting, funny, and friendly people none-the-less.

I'm also in charge of the music that's playing. We have this great big system with thousands and thousands of songs on it to chose from. When people drink they like to request their favorite music. I had a Swedish chick ask if we had any Swedish music (apparently she wanted Swedish lyrics and everything), I had a girl from New York ask for Biggie Smalls and Tupac, I had an Irish couple want some classic rock. It's great to see what genres of music different people like.

When I work the bar, I usually take care of the music, games, and drinks, which keeps me pretty busy. One of the more interesting moments I have is when I'm doing games for guests.When it comes time for me to play games with the guests some of the funniest moments happen. I never thought that being the MC for the Clemson games would ever help me out, but it has definitely given me the confidence to take the microphone and lead a crowd of strangers to a good time. When I'm running a game, often times I will see flashes come from different areas of the bar. The flashes are cameras going off...I'm actually being photographed. I can't explain the feeling of accomplishment when people are having so much fun playing the games, that they decide to document the event by taking pictures. Like this one time I was standing on a picnic table outside the bar playing drinking games with close to 70 guests, all the while they were taking pictures of 'their host' creating this atmosphere. I know it sounds really egocentric to say that their taking pictures of me personally, but to know that I'm apart of peoples adventures and travels gives me so much gratification in what I'm doing.
As much as I love this place, I'm ready to go. Ready to travel...see more. By the time February hits, I'll only have 3 and a half months until my plane leaves...unless I change my flight.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Josh! I've been enjoying reading your blog and seeing the pics.

    But, I just had to post something this time.

    YOU ARE NOT CHANGING YOUR FLIGHT....IT WILL BE TIME TO COME HOME!!! Ooops...was I yelling?!

    Glad you're having a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete