Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Arrival

So since I'm getting a late start on the whole blog thing...i'll occanally throw in some stories about my adventures thus far...


I remember exactly how I felt when Mama put me on the plane. It was a mix between "I'M GOING TO AUSTRALIA!" and "I'm going to Australia???" Yet I was in such a good mood for the entire journey. I was chatting with all the people around me and asking where they were going...in hopes they'd ask me the same, which I proudly stated "I'm moving to Australia for a year." From Atlanta to Brisbane (via Los Angeles) the journey last about 22 hours. It didn't seem as miserable as it sounds, the airline i road with made it quite enjoyable.

Looking out my window I saw Brisbane in the morning sun and was so elated that I was finally here. I don't think I passed anyone without a smile on my face. But my joyfulness was met with an announcement over the luggage carousal for me to come to security. Oh great, I was thinking, this American is about to get locked up abroad. So I walked up to security thinking they'd found my knife in my bag, or something stupid I wasn't suppose to bring with me. The man at security said "Mr. Horton, sorry but your luggage has been left in Los Angeles." Well wonderful. Half way around the world and all I have is my tooth brush, laptop, and a bottle of duty free bourbon. So I started walk around to find a pay phone so I could call mama. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the hell to use it. (and neither could any Australian that I asked) Between that, not finding the train station and getting shorted ten bucks on my cash exchanged, my first hour in Australia was slightly stressful.

The first city I called home was Nobby Beach on the Gold Coast of Australia. Hayden, my good buddy from camp took me under his wing and let me stay with him. He showed me around and gave me the basics of Australia. He was such huge help and I'm sure I would have been lost without him.

The following Monday I found my first Australian job. I was going to be working in a bar in Surfers Paradise. And I must say, Surfers Paradise makes Columbia and Clemson's downtown combined seem like a high school party...

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment