Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 86

Day 86 into my Australian adventure and I decide to start a blog. A little late, maybe, but 86 days worth of stories and adventures to share should keep me busy catching up. I figured I should start writing them down now, before I forget them all.

The reasoning I wanted to create a blog instead of perhaps a journal of stories is for a couple of reasons. One is so I don’t have to keep repeating my myself over to my family then again to my friends, meanwhile forgetting who I’ve told what. The second is because I want to share my personal lessons and views of Australia to other Americans.

Since I’ve been here I’ve only met a handful of fellow patriots in this country (half I could have done without). If I’m able to show others back home how great it is to travel in Australia, then hopefully they’d be open experiencing this for themselves.

So on day 86, exactly 12 weeks since I first landed in Australia I now find myself on an island in the south Pacific. The island’s size is small, small enough for a boat to travel the circumference in no more than 15-20 minutes, yet large enough to house large rocky mountains that are apart of an Australian National Park. The park makes exploring the island fun and easy due to the blazed trails that lead to different view points. I’ve personally only done three of the trails so far; Mt. Jefferies, the tallest point on the island with a 360 degree view of the Whitsundays; Balancing Rock, a large rock that…surprise…is balancing on other rocks to form a tall jetting figure that too has incredible views; finally Spion Kop is the third trail I’ve traveled thus far, which is a trial that leads up to the tall rocky east side of the island. There is a platform and stairs that have been constructed to let you look right down on the resort, jetty, and the opaque blue water all around.

Picture never seem to do justice.

Living and working on this island has been a blast and I love every minute of it. The wildlife is neat and the people are entertaining. I have many other things I’ll share, but as long as you’re interested in reading, I’ll keep writing. Like I said, I have many stories thus far I’d like to share, along with the views of what it’s like to live in Australia.

If you’d like to ‘Google Earth’ where I am, type Whitsunday Islands, from there I’m on Adventure Island (Formally South Molle Island).

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment