Friday, December 18, 2009

I must say, one of the more disappointing things that I've noticed so far is the lack of actual Australian friends I've made. It's not that I don't like the Australians I've met, but being a backpacker I've met many other fellow travelers from all over the world.

It's actually odd how it works; people ask me if I've been to Los Vegas, California, Canada, Texas, Niagara Falls, etc...and I never have. Yet those are the top destinations to visit while in the States. Same goes for Oz, I'll ask an Australian about a city and odds are they might not have visited it yet themselves. The idea that people feel the need to travel the globe before they've explored their own backyard is interesting. To think that before I left for Australia, I hadn't been further away than a 2 hour time zone. And now I jet off 15 hours ahead of South Carolinian time. When a 18 year old Eastern European kid has seen the Grand Canyon before I have opens you up to explore more of my own wonderful country. None the less, I have made some great Aussie friends who are just like me.

If I had to describe a typical Australian, I'm not sure it would be anything different than someone I know back home. Sure, they have funny accents and have a love for their dark Bundaberg rum, but I feel like the ones I've met are all good people; people who work hard and have a good time just like everyone else. Though i have met some that are rude, arrogant, dumb or drunk... I know that there are those anywhere you go.

But one thing I have learned about other countries is the openness they have towards others. In America, we definitely have a more closed minded attitude about forgieners entering our country, whereas in Australia they flourish on giving away working visas to bring in people. I think that many more Americans should take advantage in the visas that Australia offers, because trying to get a working visa for the States is nearly impossible. Many Australians I've talked with have tried for years to enter and find legal work, but we just don't offer that option. So it's actually quite an honor for Americans to have the privilege of getting these visas so easily.

Here we go, some Australian words:

Difference in spellings

American - Tire, Color, Center, Yogurt, Mom,
Aussie - Tyre, Colour, Centre, Yoghurt, Mum,

American Aussie
Ketcup, Tomato Sauce
Flashlight, Torch
Dock, Jetty
French Fries, Chips
Swimsuit, Cossie or Boardies
Ground Beef Minced Meat
Mosquito Mossie
Glass (of Beer) Schooner
Windshield Windscreen
Pepper Capsicum
Hood (of a car) Bonnet
Candy Lollie
Cooler Esky

Not to mention everything here is measured in the metric system. Litres for liquids, metres for distance, and kilometres for speed. Its actual very easy after you get the hang of it.

Celsius is still changeling though..

These are just off the top of my head...I'll try to think of more...

- Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment